Saturday, September 03, 2005

Yawn Yawn

The market boredom continues.

I got back from my holiday to find my portfolio had lost over 5% whilst I was away. The downward drift continued this week with the hurricane and the oil prices obviously weighing on investor's minds.

"Wake me up when September comes." Now I know what Green Day were singing about. Hopefully after the Labor day weekend the situation in New Orleans will start to improve, oil prices will come down and the markets will start moving again.

The only bright light in my portfolios in the last few weeks has been Frontline Ltd (FRO.) FRO's quarterly results surpassed analysts' expectations and the forecast for the rest of the year was optimistic, sending the share price to levels not seen since early May. Add the ex-div share price to the dividend I have received already and the dividend owed to me and I am in profit. Finally! It is not hard to eventually make a profit when the shares are yielding over 25%! Obviously that level of dividends may not continue but then how many highly profitable companies do you know with a P/E of 3? I would like more FRO in my portfolio but then I really want to buy back into Google soon before it goes on its next run. These sort of decisions are what make managing an aggressive portfolio spicy!

The market, and consequently this blog, has been rather uninspiring of late. Lets hope for some excitement in the autumn or I will have to give up and put everything in an index tracker!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home