Saturday, January 21, 2006

Ouch!

What a week! Sometimes the stock market can be boring and sometimes it can be a rollercoaster. Last week was definitely the latter.

It wasn't looking so bad on Thursday. eBay had climbed 6% after a very solid earnings release and my growth portfolio was at an all time high. How that changed on Friday with my tech-oriented growth portfolio plummeting 3.5%!

Things were much worse with my mortgage with Vodafone finding depths it hadn't known for 18 months. My decision in November to average down is now looking a bit unfortunate.

I would be a liar if I said I was not worried about Vodafone (especially as it is my biggest holding) but I expect to see 140p again this year, which would put me back into profit. Key performance indicators come out on Tuesday and it seems to me that any bad news is already priced in so I expect either a big jump or an unchanged SP.

I think Friday's fall has resulted in a few great buying opportunities; obviously Vodafone and Google looks good value at $400. Unfortunately I never leave spare cash lying around in my broker accounts so I won't be taking advantage. I could always sell a holding that has held its value (like CSR) to buy into one that hasn't (like Google or Yahoo) but I have not had much luck in the last 12 months buying after a fall.

I have heard the stock market described as a bucking bronco, trying to shake off fearful holders. Vodafone's performance over the last couple of weeks is certainly reminiscent of a bronco, but I will be holding on for dear life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home